Today also one more recipe from Parsi cuisine in my kitchen. parsi brown rice, like all ather Indians parsis also use rice in their mid day meal a lot .Like Parsi pilau, Khichri, Sabji polo,Adas polo, Beghali polo, Kateh and Brown rice and many more. I wanted to try a rice recipe traditionally parsis serve with Dhansak for RCI - PARSI AT ENJOY INDIAN FOOD EVENT BY LAKSHMI. So first comes the combination for dhansak is Brown rice. A very simple rice recipe and a perfect combination for Dhansak and Kachumbar. Here I go with the recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR BROWN RICE:---------
Basmati rice – 2 cups
Sugar – ½ tea sp
Black pepper corns – 5 corns
Cloves – 4 no.
Bay leaf – 1
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Water – 4 cups
Butter – 2 tab sp
- Wash and drain water from rice in a sieve and leave a side.
- Now heat butter in a pan and add cloves, cinnamon,bayleaf, pepper corns let them fry till they release their aroma then add sugar and allow to caramelize(let sugar turn in to dark brown color).
- Add rice to this and fry foe 2 min.mix in between. In the same time heat 4 cups water
- Then add this 4 cups hot water to rice mix well and bring to a full boil, reduce the flame and cook till almost water dries up. This will take 15 – 20 min.
- To check if rice is cooked pick up a few grains of rice and press between your thumb and index finger the rice should feel frim but mash fully. If rice is not mashed or you feel hard then add 4 tab sp s more water on top of the rice cover and cook for few more min.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for 5 min. then serve with Dhansak and Kachumbar