Legumes are a power house food which is a boon for vegetarians,because they contain high protein, fiber and iron . Legumes are classified as a meat alternative. because like meat they contain a high amount of protein but no fat and cholesterol.Especialy this black eyed peas is best sourse of fiber and it controls blood pressure and remove cholesterol from the body, a high amount of potassium too. so try to add 1 or 2 times or more them 2 time a week in your meal as a salad or a curry or you can make so many yummy soups too. And I am here with my recipe . BOBBARLU SORAKAYA KURMA ..................
Alasandalu (bobbarlu, black eyed peas) --- 1 cup
Sorakaya --- 1 small (bottle gourd)
Onion --- 1 big
Tomato – 1 big
Green chilies – 5no. (according to your taste you can reduce to 1 or 2 green chilies)
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tea sp
Red chili powder – 1/2 tea sp (according to your taste if you don't want spicy then just remove red chili powder from the list)
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tab sp
Cloves --- 4no.
Cinnamon – 1 inch pieces – 2no.
Cardamom – 3no.
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tea sp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tea sp
FOR MASALA: ---
Grated coconut – 3 tab sp
Poppy seeds – 1 tab sp (soak in warm water for 10 min.)
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Garlic – 7 cloves
Fennel seeds – 1 tea sp
Coriander powder – 1 tea sp
Mellon seeds – 1tea sp
1. Grind all masala ingredients with little water in to a smooth paste and leave a side.
2. Wash and Soak black eyed peas in 1 & 1/2 cup water for over night.
3. Peel the skin of bottle gourd and remove the seeds and cut in to bite size pieces.
4. Peel the onion and chop very finely or grate and cut green chilies in to small pieces.
5. Drop tomato in warm water for 5 min. and then remove the skin and chop very finely.
6. Now heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fry for a minute.
7. Then add chopped onion and green chilies and fry till onion become soft.
Add chopped tomato and cook till tomato became soft and mash.
8. Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder mix well and add ground masala and fry till oil leave the sides of the pan (if the masala is sticking to the pan then add 1 tab sp water and fry continuously).
9. Now add soaked black eyed peas with water and bottle gourd pieces mix well and cover with the lid and cook for 2 whistles.
Remove from heat and let it cool and open the lid mix well.
10. Serve hot with rice or roti
And also a very good combination with dosa, idli and appam too.
Enjoy your meal