As I said in my before post my MIL is a great cook and she is expert in chicken biriyani and non-vegetarian cooking. Any time she can cook if it a mid day or 12 '0' clock in the night. My FIL use to tell about that day s party in the evening 7 o clock and this great lady start's cooking and she will finish before guest comes that means with in 2 hours she will make a huge spread for dinner. This recipe of vegetable biriyani is from my MIL's kitchen. Before my marriage I never seen my mom using milk in biriyani, but when I came to my in law's place and I was surprised when I saw my MIL using milk instead of coconut milk. And believe me that taste divine with a different aroma. And here I am with the recipe…………
Basmati rice --- 1 & 1/2 cup
Onion --- 1 medium thinly sliced
Green chili s --- 4 slit
Carrot – 1 cut into small pieces
Cauliflower --- 1/2 cup cit in to small bite size pieces
Green peas --- 1/4 cup (fresh or frozen)
Cashew nuts – broken 1 tab sp
Raisins --- 1 tab sp
Ghee – 1 tab sp
Cloves – 5
Cinnamon – 1inch pieces 3no
Cardamom – 4 no
Ginger garlic paste --- 1 tea sp
Salt to taste
Milk – 2 cup s
Water – 1 cup
garam masala powder --- 1/2 tea sp
1. Wash and soak rice in 1 cup water for 10 min.
2. Add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon to 1 cup milk and leave a side
3. Heat ghee in a pan or pressure cooker and add sliced onion and green chilies fry till light brown color then add cashew nuts, raisins, carrot and green peas and fry for 2 min then add cauliflower pieces and fry for 5 min.
4. Then add ginger garlic paste, salt to taste and mix well and let it cook for a few min.
5. In the same time drain the water from rice (reserve this water we can use this while cooking) in to a bowl and add this rice to vegetable in the pan mix well and fry for a min.
6. Then add 1 cup water which we reserved and 1 cup milk which we soaked cardamom ,clove ,cinnamon and one more cup milk, garam masala powder mix well and cover with a lid and cook till done (if you are using a pressure cooker then cook for 2 whistles)
7. Remove from heat let it cool then open and mix gently.
Serve with any chicken gravy or Bagara baingan and raita