This recipe is from my mom s chilhood memories.My grand mother (my moms mother- Ammaamma) use to make this chintapandu charu as a home remedy for ill people at home.Normaly I make charu with boiling tomato and tamarind to- gather and extract the juice and add charupodi boil and give the seasonining to the charu. But this is a total different recipe. In this recipe she didn't boli the tamarind water before,after seasoning only they give a full boil to the charu thats it.when I make this charu today the house is filled with great aroma that is because of freshely grinded raw spices may be. I coudn't wait immediately I had a full bowl of hot rice with this charu. Hope you also like this unique recipe from my mom.
Tamarind --- 2 inch pieces 2 no. or 1 tea sp tamarind paste
FOR CHARU PODI:---
Cumin seeds --- 1/2 tea sp
Coriander seeds --- 1 tea sp
Black pepper --- 1/2 tea sp
Garlic --- 4 pods
Fresh coriander leaves --- 1/2 cup chopped or half bundle
Curry leaveas -- 1 spring
Red chilli powder ---- 1/4 tea sp
Salt -- 1 1/2 tea sp or according to your taste
Turmeric powder -- a pinch
Oil --- 1 tea sp
Mustared seed -- 1/ tea sp
Cumin seeds -- !/4 tea sp
Dry red chilli -- 1 broken
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 10 min. and extract juice with 3 cups water.
- Grind Charu podi ingredients- Cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black pepper corns(no need to fry this spices grind them raw only if you grind the the taste will be different . )
- First grind the seeds at last add garlic pods and grind for a sec.
- Now add this spice mixture to the tamarind water.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Now heat a pan with 1 tea sp oil and add mustared seeds let them popup then add cumin seeds and droken red chilli and fry for a while .
- Add this seasoning to the tamarind water.Now bring this tamarind water pan to the heat mix well and bring to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and serve with hot steamed rice
When you are ill if you take this charu as a soup or with little mashed steamed rice or idli (because rice and idli both are easy digestive food) that gives a very excellent taste to your mouth and it helps in digestion also.