Apr 9, 2013

Rose Cookies - Gulabi Puvvulu

Rose cookies, Gulabi Puvvlu in Telugu and Achu Muruku in Tamil are the different names for one sweet dish which is very popular in South India. This crisp delicious sweet is made by maida, rice flour, sugar and coconut milk. In Kerala they call this as Achappam here the flours are same but they add eggs in the batter that is the only difference. Actualy this rose cookie recipe is from traditional Anglo Indian cuisine which is very popular in Christmas sweets.
gulabi puvulu INGREDIENTS:----
Maida   --- 1 cup
Rice flour  ---  1 and 3/4 cup
Sugar  --- 3/4 cup you can reduce this to 1/2 cup according to your taste.
Coconut milk   ----  1 cup (Thick)
Water  -----  1 cup or as required for making the batter
Cardamom powder  --- 1 tea sp
Salt a pinch
Oil for deep frying
                                            


METHOD:---
1. Take rice flour , maida, sugar , salt, cardamom powder mix well to combine.
2. Add coconut milk and mix with a spoon then add little by little water and make smooth batter.
This batter should be like a thick dosa batter consistency and leave it a side for 20 minutes.
3. Now heat oil in a deep frying pan, place the achu in the oil and let it heat.
4. Keep the batter bowl near by the deep frying pan in which we heating oil and achu.
5. Check if oil is enough heat by roping a few drops of batter in to the oil. if the batter drops sizzels and come to the surface then the oil is ready.
                                                   



6. Take out of the achu from oil and dip it in to the batter, When you dip the hot achu in to the batter you can hear light sizzle sound. do not dip the achu completely  dip 3/4 achu in to the batter.
7. Now place the achu in to hot oil again and wait for a minute and gently shake the achu to release the cookie from achu. if the cookie is not came out then gently push it with a fork or skewer to releas the cookie in to oil. Do like this till the batter is finished.
8. Keep the flame in medium and fry rose cookis till golden. turn the other side and cook the other side also till golden.
9. Remove from oil, when you remove them from oil they may be little soft but after cooling to room temparature they become crisp.
Cool completely and store these Gulabi Puvvulu in a air tight container.
Make sure that achu is enough hot to hold the batter, if it is too hot or less hot also it won't hold the batter.
Making of the sweet need some Practice, After a lot of triels now only I am geting  the in a right shape so bigeners do not get disapoint if want to make this keep on trying
This is my first recipe for Blogging Marathon 27th edition under Traditional recipes  let's check other BM members recipes here.

18 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Gulabi puvvulu,love this name than achu murukku..Addictive beauties..

Kalyani said...

wow ! looks yum... I always thought these needed eggs.. this eggless version is new to me !

Kalyani
Sizzling Tastebuds
Event : Summer Splash + Giveaway

Corporate to Kitchen said...

They have come out so well! we make this for christmas & they taste so good. I love your presentation.

Rajani S said...

Achappam! Its tastes so good! Yours look really good and hats off for making these at home :)

Srivalli said...

Padma, I simply love these so much..you have made it look so effortless..I had to struggle for a week to season the mould..:)..will check out your recipe when I am going to make this again..

satya said...

they look delicious.. din't know that we make them at home..Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Padma I was under he impression that this cannot be made without eggs so I never bother trying it out. Now with this recipe I will be making these delicious beauties.

Chef Mireille said...

they are so beautiful - wish I could find that mould

Foodiliciousnan said...

I remember reading about this a few BMs ago. Funnily I have nevertasted these. But your pictures definitely speak a lot for them!

The Pumpkin Farm said...

u r such a pro with traditional recipes, these look the most perfectly done rose cookies

Unknown said...

i saw this in a TV program and have been in search of the achu.. i should try it once I get my hands on the achu.. yours is looking so beautiful...
Sowmya
Event - Celebrate - Summer
Event - Bake Fest

sujitha said...

love this.... long time, missing my mom muruku after seeing this...

Harini R said...

Love it! Last time I looked around to get the rose acchu but couldn't get my hands on it..

Manju said...

My childhood favorite one, my grandma use to do this..it have turned so perfect.

Pavani said...

Perfectly made rose cookies. They look delicious.

Unknown said...

My malyali neighbor from childhood, Tara Aunty used to make this for me :) How i miss my childhood.

Padmajha said...

MIL used to makes these and I loved the crunchy texture.Never tried them myself in spite of having the 'achu' at home. Yours looks perfect and crunchy..

Suma Gandlur said...

Tempting. I have to get the mould for these when I visit India this time.