Jun 17, 2015

Masala peanuts

Third week of this month Blogging marathon, my theme for this week is snack for a movie date First I just signed up for this theme with out any idea. Because watching movie in a theater is a big deal for us. Spending two to three hours for a movie is waste of time that is my husbands opinion. He didn't even watch movies on TV, his favorite channel is BBC or National geography, Travel channels. For me other then watching movies I like to spend time in a temple I think all my friends know this about me. But I do watch movies only week days, Sunday my TV shows only those three channels.
                                              This masala peanuts are my to do list from long time. I miss placed that recipe book which I noted this recipe from my mother, finely I got it again from my mother. Now a days these popcorn and chips are becoming very popular in the theaters. When I was a child my grandfather used to take us every weekend for a movie. In the interval (in the middle of the movie break) one person use to come inside the theater with a tray filled with batani (fried white peas) and masala peanuts or fried peanuts. Those days are golden days, any way now let's check the recipe......
 photo mp_1.jpg INGREDIENTS:--
Peanuts  ---   1 cup
Besan (chickpea flour) -- 1/4 cup
Rice flour  ----     1 tab sp
Red chilli powder  ---   1 and half tea sp
Kashmiri red chilli powder  ---  1 tea sp (This is to give a nice red color to the peanuts  so it is optional)
Salt  -----    1/2 tea sp
Garlic  ---  3 cloves
Poppy seeds ----  1 tea sp
Cumin seeds  ---  1 tea sp
Water  ---   3 tab sp
Oil for deep frying.
METHOD:----
1. In a frying pan roast peanuts till they split. remove from heat and spread peanuts in a plate to cool.
2. Roast poppy seeds and cumin seeds for two minutes and grind in to a fine powder.
3. Then add garlic cloves to the poppy seed and cumin powder add a tab sp water and grind in to a fine paste.
4. In a mixing bowl take roasted peanuts, ground masala, red chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, salt, besan, rice flour mix well.
5. Sprinkle little water and gently mix with your fingers to coat the masala on peanuts well.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan and drop this masala coated peanuts like how we drop pakodis slowly in to the hot oil.
7. Fry in a medium heat till golden, remove from oil and transfer to an absorbent paper.
Enjoy with a cup of tea...                                        



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 53

19 comments:

Srivalli said...

Lovely reading about your movie memories..guess I too remember having these in the cinemas those days in my maternal grandparents town...These masala peanuts are our favorite even other wise..very nicely clicked pic Padma..

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Padma, ohh yumm,as i read i m trying to enjoy that nice aroma of those spices!!! Awesome totally!!! delicious!

cookingwithsapana said...

My all time fav snack. Very nicely made..

sushma said...

Made these sometime ago for BM. Loved it. Looks nice and crunchy

Usha said...

Poppy seeds is an interesting addition to masala peanuts. Need to try it next time. That pail is so cute. I am yet to use mine in my pictures.

Varada's Kitchen said...

Never had these in a theatre but I can have them anytime. Very addictive!

vaishali sabnani said...

WellI am quite fond of movies , but may be every fortnight. And I love these masala peanuts, definitely a hit with movies, very well made.

praba said...

Adding poppy seeds is intresting...crunchy munchy peanuts...

Kalyani said...

Poppy seeds addition is very new to me .. I made this too recently although in d microwave .. Such a hit in the monsoon :/))

Priya Suresh said...

If i make this peanuts, i wont stop munching them,prefect crunchy munchy.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

even i think popcorn is overrated when it comes to movies...there are so many great recipes to munch on...this one is also a great idea...

Chef Mireille said...

what a great snack

Archana said...

When I was small I do not remember eating anything in the theater. Mostly because I used to be crying...

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

What a tempting recipe and I love your clicks!

Pavani said...

What a tempting treat you got there Padma. Those masala peanuts look amazing.

Harini R said...

Lovely picture composition, Padma. Love these addictive peanuts.

Sowmya :) said...

This has been on my to do list for a long time as well....now that I have your recipe, I will tick off at least one item off my list...

Unknown said...

I tried this in microwave last time and it was equally wonderful. Yes this would be too good an accompaniment for movies.

Sneha's Recipe said...

Addictive peanuts.