Sep 21, 2015

Pesarattu Upma

We have started yet another week for Buffet on table under the theme of Breakfast from countries. My choice for the first day is from my home land. Pesarattu- upma is a traditional breakfast of Andhra Pradesh. This is a whole moong dosa which is stuffed with upma and served with allam pachadi. Usually dosas are served with coconut chutney right, but this particular dosa is served with allam pachadi. Because this dosa is a protein rich and heavy meal because it is stuffed with upma. Allam pachadi makes this heavy meal in to easy digest and delicious, so allam pachadi make a perfect combination with pesarattu- upma. Pesarattu and upma are two different dishes where upma can be eaten alone, but I never imagine pesarattu with out upma. But some times my husband enjoys pesarattu alone with coconut chutney any way.....
 photo pua.jpg Let's check the recipe...  
Pesalu (whole green moong)   ---  1 cup
Raw rice ---   1 tab sp
Ginger   ----  1 inch pieces
Green chillies   ---  5
Salt to taste
Onion  ----  1 big fineliy chopped
Ginger   ----  1/2 inch piece finely chopped
Cumin seeds  ---  1 tab sp
Oil for frying dosas
METHOD:----
1. Soak whole green moong and one tab sp raw rice in enough water for over night.
2. Next morning grind soake moong and raw rice green chillies, ginger in to a smooth paste.
3. Add salt to taste and mix well.
4. By the time prepare Upma and keep it ready. (check upma recipe here)
5. Now heat a dosa pan and pour a laddle full of moong batter and spread it in to a thin circle.
6. Sprinkle with  few cumin seeds, chopped onion, chopped ginger and drizzle a teasp oil on edges of the pesarattu and cook till bottom turns in to golden.
7. Now flip the pesarattu and cook for two minutes and turn it again.
8. Spread a tab sp full upma on it and fold the pesarattu and take it out from the pan..
Serve hot with Allam pachadi...  


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56


12 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

This recipe brings back fond memories of our BM 25 Meet !..Since i have tasted it I can shout and say WOW!

Usha said...

Though pesarattu is made very often at home, I discovered this combo only few years ago when my friend invited me home for breakfast. Though I can eat upma & pesarattu separately, it does taste great when served together.

Srivalli said...

Padma, I am surprised you are yet to share this in your space!..As vaishali said, this reminds me on how you cooked it for us!..beautiful clicks..

Srividhya said...

I eat pesarattu and upma separetly. never did this at home. should give it a try soon

cookingwithsapana said...

I want to try this tempting dish someday.Lovely pics.

Sandhiya said...

Never tried this combo, though made them separately.Yummy.

Priya Suresh said...

Wow, traditional Andhra breakfast, i can have this pesarattu anytime without any fuss.

Pavani said...

Love pesarattu-upma any time of the day. You are tempting me to make this soon :-)

Suma Gandlur said...

That is one classic combo though I never understand why these two dishes need to be paired. :)

Harini R said...

A classic combo, but I have never tried them together :)

Chef Mireille said...

definitely a healthy breakfast

Archana said...

Thanks Padma. I remember this from bm 25