Chikki is a traditional sweet across India is usually made by jaggery and peanut s or ground nuts. Some chikkis are made by using a combination of other nuts like almond, pistachios and cashew nuts also.ground nut chikki is an Indian brittle but there is a difference between brittle and Indian chikki. Generally brittle is made by sugar, corn syrup and nuts and chikki is made by jaggery and nuts, jaggery well known as Gud or Bellamu in Telugu is a traditional unrefined sugar which is made from sugar cane juice what we use in many traditional sweets in India.jaggery is a rich source of iron and it contains 50% sucrose. As per ayurveda jaggery is very beneficial in treating throat and lung infections. According to our Hindu tradition jaggery is considered auspicious in India when we are going to do a good work or starting a new or important job if you eat a of piece of jaggery and then start the work it is belief. Any way that’s about jaggery and the other ingredient in this delicious chikki is pea nut or ground nut are a rich source of protein.
Hear in this chikki recipe I used jaggey and sugar both. Because jaggery gives a soft texture and delicious taste and flavor and sugar gives a brittle ness to the chikki so…. And yeppeee this is my 400th post. Here is the recipe for verusenga pappuchekka akka palli chikki (peanut brittle)…………
Pea nuts (verusenaga pappu, pallilu, ground nut) --- 2&1/2 cups
Jaggery --- 3/4 cup
Sugar --- 1/2 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder --- 1/2 tea sp
1. Roast pea nuts and remove the skin and leave a side
2. Now in a heavy bottom pan combine sugar, jaggery, water and boil till jaggery and sugar dissolves in to water.
3. Now remove from the heat and strain this syrup in to another heavy bottom pan (this processes is to remove any stones or any dart from the jaggery and sugar).
4. Now bring back this syrup to the heat and bring to a full boil now you can see lot of bubbling and rising to the surface stir continually and cook till when you drop a bit of this syrup in to cold water it will solidify like a ball.
5. When syrup reaches this stage immediately add nuts and cardamom powder.
And immediately pour this in to a greased plate or try.
6 .When it is hot, make lines with a knife and leave it to cool.
7. When cooled break this in to pieces.
THIS VERUSENAGA PAPPUCHEKKA GOES TO JFI - PEANUTS AT PAVANI 'S COOK'S HIDEOUT EVENT BY INDIRA OF MAHANANDI