St Clement's Drizzle Cake, soft textured, lemony flavored cake which is melts in your mouth. I never tried before lemon juice or zest in any cake for first time in this recipe only I used that. When I first saw the recipe there is no essence or any flavor they mention, so I thought how it will be …. But I have a believe in Rosie &Maria s baking recipes. I have tried some baking recipes from there all are super hit at my place. And this Drizzle cake tastes ohh really fantastic, I never know lemon zest will give a marvelous flavor Hats off to Rosie & Maria. We are enjoying each and every bit and it is a perfect choice with a hot cup of green tea. Thanks Rosie & Maria for this mouthwatering recipe……..
Caster sugar (superfine sugar) – 175 gms.
Softened butter – 175 gms
Grated zest of and juice – 1 large lemon
Grated zest and juice --- 1 large orange
Milk – 4 tab sp
Eggs – 2 no.
Self – raising flour – 175 gms
Granulated sugar – 3 tab sp
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degree C/fan 160 degree C/gas mark 4
2. Grease and line the base of 1 large (900gms) or 2 small (450g) loaf tins.
Place the caster sugar, butter and zest of the lemon and orange in a bowl and beat together until pale and creamy.
3. Add milk and then beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a spoon of flour to prevent the mixture form curdling.
4. Mix in the remaining flour. Spoon in to the prepared tin/tins and level the surface flat.
5. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes for large cake and 30 minutes for the smaller cakes until they are golden and skewer comes out clean when inserted in to the center of the cake.
6. While the cake is cooking, place the lemon and orange juice in a sauce pan, bring to a full boil and allow to reduce in quantity to about 3 tablespoons.
7. Leave to cool. And then stir in the granulated sugar so it just starts to dissolve.
8. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prick several times with a skewer, then slowly pour the lemon and orange sugar all over the top, letting it soak in to the cake and leave to cool completely in the tin before turning out and cutting in to slices to serve.
THIS DELICIOUS CAKE IS STRIGHT ON THE WAY TO SWEET & SIMPLE BAKES