Uthappam 's are thick dosa's made by rice and urad dal (split black lentils) batter. The batter is made of a ratio of 3:1 means 3 cups rice and 1 cup of split black lentils. Normally every week I grind idli and dosa batter for breakfast for first two days I use that batter for idli s and one day for dosas (the same batter) and the very last day I use the same batter for uthappams. But this time I change the recipe, long back I have seen this recipe in a TV show and it was a hit at that time and I tried it again last week end, yes for week end brunch it's a very ideal recipe. Because it's full of vegetables and high in calories and it's filling too. 1 medium size uthappam contains 180 calories and that too with vegetables it's a full meal. Here I go with the recipe…..
FOR UTHAPPAM BATTER:---
Urad dal – 1 cup (split black lentils)
Par boiled rice – 1 & 1/2 cup (idli rice)
Raw rice – 1 & 1/2 cup
Tour dal – 1 tab sp (split pegion peas)
Salt to taste
1. Wash both lentils in tap water for 3 -4 times and soak in enough water for 3 hours.
2. Mix, wash both rice also for 2-3 times and soak in enough water for 4 hours.
3. Now grind lentils in to a very smooth paste
4. And grind rice in to a fine rava consistency and mix with lentil paste add salt to taste mix well in a big bowl and leave in a warm place for 8 hours or over night to fermentation.
Cauliflower – 1 medium size cut in to small bite size pieces.
Carrot – 2 cut in to small pieces like cauliflower.
Potato – 1 big this also cut in to small pieces like cauliflower and carrot
Onion -- 1 big chopped finely
Coriander leaves – 1 tab sp chopped finely
Green chilies – 3 chopped
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tea sp
Red chili powder – 1/4 tea sp (if you don't like much spice then remove red chili powder)
Garam masala – 1/2 tea sp
Oil – 1 tab sp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tea sp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tea sp
A few curry leaves
Ginger – 1 tea sp chopped
1. Soak cauliflower florets in salted warm water for 5 min. remove and leave a side.
2. Heat oil in a pan add mustard seed and let them popup then add cumin seeds, chopped ginger, curry leaves let them fry for a while.
3. Now add chopped onion, potato stir once and cover and cook in a very low flame for 3 min.
4. Then add carrot pieces, turmeric powder, salt to taste, chopped green chilies, red chili powder (if using) mix well and sprinkle 1 tab sp water cover with a lid and cook in a very low flame for 5 min. stir in between.
5. If require add tab sp more water and add cauliflower pieces mix well cover and cook till vegetables become tender. It will take 5 more min.
6. After 5 min. open the lid mix well and add garam masala powder, chopped coriander leaves cover the lid and switch off the flame and leave it like that for at least 10 min. then mix well.
7. Now heat a griddle or dosa pan sprinkle little water and wipe with a kitchen towel, spry some cooking spry or cooking oil now mix well and pour 1 &1/2 ladle lentil and rice batter which we fermented for over night.
8. Spread the batter in to a thick circle like a thick pan cake add 1/2 tea sp oil on the sides. And top with the vegetable mixture cover and cook for 2 sec. or till the bottom become light golden color.
9. Then flip the uthappan the other side and cook till light golden color (it will take 2 more sec.).
10 Remove from the pan and serve hot with coconut chutney or any other chutney
I served with tomato chutney.
1. Here I want to share a tip with you all with this same recipe you can make mini uthappam s also for kid's lunch box.
2. Use a dessert spoon to pour the batter instead of a big ladle to make mini uthappams and top with the vegetable mixture and fry both sides till nice golden color remove from heat and top with a drop of tomato sauce and cover with the other mini uthappam like a sandwich and pack it in kids lunch box as a vegetable sandwich uthappam.
I am sure your kids will like this….. I hope my idea will help you all.