Who don't like crispy, yummy muruku with a cup of coffee or tea? I just like to have this crispy variety snacks any time. I tried muruku with urad dal powder before also. Nothing much difference between my recipe and what valli given for ICC for this month. Ohh already this is a 4th challenge, we have finished 4 recipes very successes fully. Realy a big hug and thanks to valli because of her only we are trying different recipes and especially for this recipe It's just super hit. And coming to the recipe I didn't make any change here it is….
Raw rice – 4 cups
Urad dal – 1 cup
Water – app 1/2 cup or more
Cumin seeds – 1 tea sp
Sesame seeds – 1 tea sp
Asafoetida – 1/2 tea sp
Salt to taste
Butter – 75 Gms
1. Wash and drain the rice (I soaked rice for over night). Shade dries the rice for 1/2 hr.
2. In the same time dry roast the urad dal to light brown, allow it to cool.
Now first grind rice in to fine powder (check here for how to make rice powder at home)
3. Then grind urad dal into fine powder.
4. In a wide vessel, take both flours along with salt to taste mix well and add sesame seeds, cumin seeds to the flour and mix well.
5. Now add asafetida to the flour If you are using solid asafetida the make sure it dissolve in water completely. If it is not dissolved properly, when deep frying the muruku there are chances for the asafetida to burst our due to air bubbles.
6. Mix the asafetida very well then add butter.
7. Gather everything well and you will get more of a crumbling mixture.
8. Now slowly add water and knead a dough which is little softer then puri dough.
9. Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan to fry muruku s
10 Once oil is hot enough, simmer to low the flame.
11. Take muruku aachu, wash and wipe it clean.
12. Then divide the dough in to equal balls.
13. Fill the muruku maker with dough.
14. You can either press it directly over the hot oil or press over a papper or gently slide it down in to the hot oil.
15. But since the quantity mentioned here is less, you can press it directly over the oil in the deep frying pan.
16. Cook over medium flame, using a slotted spoon; turn it over to the other side to ensure both sides turn in to nice golden color.
17. You will know by seeing the color that it is cooked.
18. Remove to a kitchen paper and store it in an air tight container.