Jun 21, 2011

Rajasthani Gatta Curry

Rajasthani Gatta Curry is again a chick pea flour based curry from Rajasthan.with out Gatta curry rajasthani meal is incomplete. This recipe I have noted from a small hotel cook in Jaipur.Two years back we visited Jaipur in our vacation and I ask my guide I need to have a traditional rajasthani meal.so My guide took me to a small hotel,where I had a rajasthani thali with dal-baati-churma, gatta curry, bajara roti,some beans curry,aloo bartha and lots of sweets.Realy that was a huge lunch that day, I could't walk back to my hotel.So that time I took the recipe from the cook and Today here I am with the recipe. This is the 6th recipe from my regional recipes theme for Blogging Marathon#6


Photobucket
INGREDIENTS:----
For Gatta s ---
Besan (chick pea flour) --- 1 cup
Turmeric powder -- 1/4 tea sp
Red chilli powder --- 3/4 tea sp
Coriander powder --- 12 tea sp
Fennel seeds --- 1/2 tea sp crushed
Carom seeds(ajwain)-- 1/2 tea sp crushed
Salt ----- 1/2 tea sp
curd(yogurt) --- 2 tab sp
For Gravy:----
Ghee --- 2 tab sp
Onion seeds(kalonji) --- 1/2 tea sp
Cumin seeds ----- 1 tea sp
Curry leaves --- 10 leaves
Curd --- 2 cups
Chick pea flour --- 2 tab sp
Turmeric powder --- 1/2 tea sp
Red chilli powder --- 1 tea sp
Coriander powder --- 1/2 tea sp
Salt -- 1tea sp or according to your taste
METHOD:--
For making Gattas:
1.Mix chick pea flour,crushed fennel and carom seeds,turmeric powder,red chilli powder,salt,curd mix well and make a stiff dough.
2.Roll this chick pea flour dough in to long strips(like sausage strips)
3.Boil water in a pan and drop this strips in to the boiling water, cook for 5 minutes.
4.Remove from heat and drain water, cut Gattas in to small pieces and set a side.
5.Take curd in to a mixing bowl add red chilli powder,turmeric powder,coriander powder,salt, chick pea flour and whisk well to combine every thing
6.Heat ghee in a thick bottom pan add cumin seeds, onion seeds and curry leaves fry for a while.
7.Now add the curd mixture and bring to a full boil, stir continuously to avoide to curdle the yogurt mixture
8.Reduce the flame add Gatta pieces and cook till the gravy comes in to medium thick consistency.
Remove from heat and serve hot with bajre ki roti or with steamed rice.

18 comments:

Jayashree said...

Wish I could scoop up some of that curry with a roti.

Vardhini said...

New dish and looks delicious.

Vardhini
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

jayasree said...

Looks very creamy...One of my favorites.

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Looks creamy and yummy.....

Mélange ! said...

My God,it's such an inviting curry.I loved the rich and creamy flavour with the nutrition it offers !

Hari Chandana P said...

Lovely and delicious recipe.. looks absolutely inviting !!!
Indian Cuisine

Unknown said...

Yummy creamy curry

Priya Suresh said...

Give me that bowl, seriously i'll finish that whole bowl just like that, i dont even need anything to enjoy along with..Stunning clicks..Btw Padma, for the last day since i was paired with u i choosed ur egg sandwich and enjoyed a lot,thanks for this quick and yummy sandwich..

Lifewithspices said...

Came to know abt ur blog thru Priya's blog .. she did mention abt u u hv an awesome blog.. hv tried this ghatta its awesome one..Am following ur blog for ur perfect dishes..

Santosh Bangar said...

realy curry is looking superb

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Gatta Curry looks so creamy and delicious...

MySpicyKitchen said...

I have heard a lot about the gatta curry. Looks excellent and must has tasted great!

Harini said...

looks good and sounds flavorful too..I think there are multiple variations of this curry!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious curry...very creamy...

Unknown said...

Yum, done it so well. It looks so rich and ceramy and super delicious :)

Unknown said...

Yummyyyy....I just cant resist gatta curry ...given anytime with rice..that's super fav..looks very yummy...oh i have to make this soon now again..

Rekha shoban said...

looks very rich curry!!perfect with roti!!yummy!

Raks said...

I love fennel in this curry,looks so creamy and yummy!