Jun 30, 2009

RAVA LADDOO FOR INDIAN COOKING CHALLENGE

Photobucket
Rava laddoo one of the traditional and simple and easy to make sweet from South India. This Rava Laddoo is my brother's favorite sweet, he is little choosing about sweets and this one is the first choice for him. After my marriage when my brother came to my place that time I wanted to make this for him. I never made Rava laddo before my marriage and my mom is an expert in this (of course my mom is an expert in so many South Indian sweet s ) that time I will be just a helping hand to my mom that’s all I never made any dish alone. So now I wanted to make my brothers fav. Sweet before he came and I started frying rava, I fried rava nicely and kept a side then started making sugar syrup (yes I know here every body s eyes stopped ha haa you my be thinking what this lady is going to do with sugar syrup in rava laddo just wait and fallow the next line.) ok I added water to sugar and made sugar syrup I think I made 1 string consistency and I added rava and cooked for almost for 5 min. I think. Then I add coconut and nuts and switch off the flame and happily made ladoo s out of this mixture and then I realize that they are not like what my mom use to make. What I made this rava laddoo s are round in shape like laddo bit soft like Halwa, but not like Halwa it is sticky and rava is not cooked haaaaaaaaaaaa :((
Photobucket
What to do, I was just about to cry. What to do I don’t know that time my MILis also not at home. My MIL s friend and also our neighbour aunty came to meet MIL and she asked me what are you doing and I got the chance and I shown her what I made and she just couldn’t control her self and she laughed a lot and told me this is not rava laddoo this is Halwa laddo that too half cooked.! And couldn’t make rava laddoo with this any more and she added some more milk to this half cooked hallway lidos and made proper halwa(of course I don’t know how to make halwa also that time that is one more story some other time.) Thank God and aunty at least we had sweet that day and I didn’t waste that material. After this attempt I didn’t even touch rava for laddos for long time. And after this incident when I went to Vijayawada I learnt Rava laddo from my mom. Yesterday when I made this laddo s I got a complement from hubby dear that they are taste just like his ammamma use to make for him. When I saw this in

Indian cooking challenge as a trail recipe I thought that yes now I can challenge any body with this Rava laddo recipe but her I adopted valli s recipe which is not much different then mine but here I just fallowed her recipe and here I go with the recipe……….
Photobucket
INGREDIENTS:----
Rava (semolina, cream of wheat) --- 1 cup
Sugar --- 1 cup
Ghee – 25 Gms
Milk – 25 ml
Cardamom powder--- 1 pinch
Cashew nuts – 10 broken
Raisins --- 10 no.
Grated fresh coconut – 25 Gms
Heat 2 tea sp ghee and fry cashew nut s and raisins remove from the ghee and leave aside then add grated coconut to the same ghee and fry till nice aroma comes out remove and leave a side.
Now heat the remaining ghee and fry the rava till it is rosted and nice aroma comes out but make sure that color is not changed.
Now take all roasted ingredients in to a big bowl and add sugar and cardamom powder mix well.
Now add warm milk to this rava mixture slowly and check that if you are able to make round ball s out of this mixture then transfer it to pan again and fry in a low flame for 2 min. and switch off the flame cover with a lid and leave it for 2 min. and then immediately make laddoo s out of this mixture.
The only thing in this recipe what I do is after I roast rava and I grind it for 1 sec in a mixee.
And I mix the cardamom and sugar and make powder and mix with rava.

42 comments:

Parita said...

Looks great dear!! I am planning to make some today :)

chef and her kitchen said...

mee rava laddu story baagundhi Rekha..
Even I leant rava laddu after my marriage only..They look so good dear..

Anonymous said...

Rekha,lol.lol..thats happens often yaa.But simply great to share such stories..Your laddoos looks like a real challenge..Great clicks for sure..

Saritha said...

looks great rekha,a bit different what i made before :)

Unknown said...

Looks lovely, beautiful click.

Padma said...

rava ladoo looks great Rekha...

Unknown said...

they looks perfect..i want to make them too..very tempting..

Deepthi Shankar said...

nice laddoos ...

chakhlere said...

wow!!
Looks yummy!!
Seeing rava laddoos after long time!!

Lavanya Raj said...

When i made Rava Upma for the first time, it was just half cooked...Loved Reading ur past exp with Rava.Ladoo...I had the same experience too..

Sailaja Damodaran said...

my favourite too!!!!!!!!!

CurryLeaf said...

Wow.Lovely post.The laddoos looks perfect.Loved the story Rekha.Also I think grinding makes the laddoo smoother and gives a uniform look and equally distributes sugar and cardamom-its my feeling.Lovely laddoos.

Usha said...

Looks fantastic, I just made this recently too !

Gita Jaishankar said...

Oooh delicious rava ladoos rekha...they look so tempting :)

Vibaas said...

yum yum! those are for me, right? :)

Bindiya said...

Wow these are some beautiful and tempting pics!

Preeti Singh said...

You have a wonderful blog dear... rava ladoos look great dear..nice clicks too dear..

Suparna said...

hi rekha,
rava ladoos look fab! It's an all time fav of mine...slurrrp ;)

Aps Kitchen said...

This looks fab i must say........just yum

Shama Nagarajan said...

Looks perfect and yummy...nice post

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow.......delectably delish....my favourite too.....nice pics.....

Hari Chandana P said...

Looks gr8...naku kooda chala istam rekha rava laddoos.. amazing clicks :)

Srivalli said...

Thanks for joining us Rekha...laddos look yummy!

notyet100 said...

looks yummy,..nice effort,.;-)

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Looks yummy Padma........

Raks said...

Simple yet delicious! perfect entry!!

jayasree said...

your post made good read. Indian sweets are mostly tricky. Ladoos are looking good.

Bergamot said...

ladoos are really difficult...yet to learn how to make them...your rava ladoos look great :-)

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Awesome laddus. Pls parcel me some dear.:)

Uma said...

Those are some lovely laddus Rekha!! Soooo tempting. Gorgeous clicks :)

Priya said...

lol! It sure sounds funny now, but I can't imagine how freaked out you must have been at that point. The first time I made the laddoo's my brother asked me if they were golf balls :)) These look perfect now.

mommyscuisine said...

yummy ravva laddu's rekha. I had a similar experience but while making gulab jamun's in my early years of marriage :))

Ashwini said...

perfect ladoos.. tempted to make some..

Yasmeen said...

Those laddus looks irresistibly good:)

Lakshmi said...

parcel them dear! Please.... I just wanted to take one of them from the pic and load in my mouth right away!

Anonymous said...

for muffins what is the oven temp?

Indian Khana said...

Looks yum and lovley pic

Unknown said...

@Anonymous for muffins oven temperature is 375 degrees for pre heating and reduce to 250 degrees at baking time check in between if you oven is very hot then reduce some more points that s depends on your oven heat.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much gls for you lovely comments.
ha ha haa Lavi ok one more person is there like me half cooked upma sounds too yummy yaar.
yes Varu enen mine is little different but its a challenge so we have to cook the recipe what they give naa.

Unknown said...

Curry Leaf yes if we grien the rava that gives the texture and they will become smoother and also that will be easy to make laddoo s
Valli its my pleasure dear.
@jayasree yes making of some Indian sweets are very tricky.
Dhanya and Lakshmi oh if there is a maill service which we can send food items sure i can send them for you dear.

Juliana said...

Wow, these look so yummie! Nice pictures!

Vrinda said...

Lovely ladoos,my all time fav sweet...