Jun 8, 2009

VADA PAV

Today I am here with a very favorite snack from Mumbai. This one is a most wanted snack in Mumbai chat bhandar s(If I am not wrong) . I don't know much more about Mumbai, but when I saw this recipe in Sanjeev Kapoor's TV show I became a big fan of this snack. In my view this is an Indian burger. First when I didn't see this recipe and
I thought that vada and pav what is this combination(just imagine urad dal vada and pav) As we know vada means urad dal vada(garelu, ulundu vada) or channa dal vada (masala vada) is it right. We call this Btata vada in South India as Aloo Bonda right. So that is the confusion, after I saw this recipe in Sanjeev Kapoor s show VADA PAV became a breakfast item at my place (but not a regular, once in a 2 months).And here is the recipe…………

Photobucket
INGREDIENTS FOR BATATA VADA:---
Potatoes ---- 2 or 3 (boild, peeled and mashed)

Onion ---- 1 medium finely chopped
Green chilies ---- 2 finely chopped
Ginger and garlic ---- 1/2 tea sp finely chopped (you can use paste also)
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves --- 1 tab sp choped
Oil ---- 1 tab sp
Red chilli powder --- 1/2 tea sp
Lemon juice --- 2 tab sp
Mustard seeds --- 1/2 tea sp
cumin seeds --- 1 tea sp
turmeric powder --- 1/2 tea sp
METHOD FOR POTATO CURRY :----
1. Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds and let them popup then add cumin seeds and fry them till red color and then add chopped onion and green chilies and fry till onion become soft.
2. Now add ginger garlic chopped and fry for a sec. then add turmeric powder,mashed potatoes,redchili powder,chopped coriander leaves,stir for 2 min. then add lemon juice and salt to taste mix well and remove from heat
3. let it cool, then make small balls out of this curry and keep a side.

FOR BATATA VADA BATTER:--
Chick pea flour(Besan, senaga pindi) ---- 1 1/2 cup
Red chili powder --- 1/2 tea sp
Salt to taste
ajwain --- 1/2 tea sp
Baking powder --- 1/4 tea sp
Oil for frying
1. In a bowl add all these ingredients and add water to make a thick batter like fitters batter(bajji batter)
2. Heat oil in a deep frying pan . When oil is hot, dip potato balls in chick pea flour batter and carefully drop them in to the hot oil (if you are not able to drop them with your hand use a spoon to drop just dip the balls in batter and lift with a spoon and drop in to oil)
3. Turn it every 3-4 min on a medium heat and fry till nice golden color and remove from oil and leave a side.
FOR RED CHUTNEY:---

Red chutney:---
Grated coconut ---1 tab sp
Red chili powder --- 2 tea sp
Garlic cloves --- 6 no. Grind all three ingredients with little water in to a smooth paste and store in a container.
green chutney:- grind 2 cups coriander, 1 cup mint leaves, 1 tab sp chopped ginger, 3 green chilies, lemon juice 1 tab sp, salt to taste, garlic cloves 2 no .roasted cumin seeds 1/2 tea sp in to a smooth paste.
Now start assembling VADAPAV…………..
Slice pav bun horizontally(don’t slice them full, slice till 3/4 bun).
Spread green chutney one side.and second side garlic chutney
Now place batata vada in side the pav bun close the bun and serve hot.
Note :--If you don't like this snack very spicy then remove garlic chutney and apply tomato sauce.in the place of garlic chutney.

THIS IS MY ENTRY FOR RCI: MUMBAI STREET FOOD AT SERVED WITH LOVE BY AQUADAZE EVENT STARTED BY LAKSHMI

31 comments:

Indian Khana said...

I would love to have that....looks just yum...wonderful entry

Aps Kitchen said...

Vada Pav i have always heard about this tasted it...love it.... but never tried bcoz its fried but i have to try it once for sure.......thank u for sharing akka. :)

Priya Suresh said...

Yummyyyyy!!!am just drooling rite now here Rekha!!

Parita said...

Thats perfect entry for the event..i love wada pav and miss them so much

notyet100 said...

hii u can send this to divya vikrams event too show me ur breakfast,..looks so yum,,i ma droolin here,..:)

Deepthi Shankar said...

been ages since I had vada pav ... yummy snack

ST said...

Utterly butterly delicious vada pav...Seeing this I started carving for this...

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow looks awesome......feel like eating it right now......

chef and her kitchen said...

That is perfect for the event...
I am enjoying this in Mumbai gal..:)

Padma said...

yummy yummy .... looks so delicious... that's right even I was confused with batata vada when I saw them in a menu card here :)

Suparna said...

hi,
Lol on the vada thing ya south Indians can easily mistake this one vada for another :) I love vada pav, unfortunately the typical mumbai taste is rare to get anywhere else...Ur recipe looks damn good, pic is superb

Sailaja Damodaran said...

looks great & interesting

Vani said...

I love vada pavs too! Looks great, Rekha!

Pooja said...

Never got a chance to taste it rekha..Your pics are tempting me to try it..so yummy... will try sometime..

Srilakshmi said...

Vada Pav looks Amazing.. Definetely better than Burgers!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh thats my fav...looking tempting ...

FoodShoutOut said...

You have some great recipes on your site and it would be great if you could share them at FoodShoutOut.com
FoodShoutOut.com is a place for people to discover and share great indian recipes from anywhere on the web. From the biggest online destinations to the most obscure blog, FoodShoutOut.com surfaces the best stuff as voted on by users.

Unknown said...

Looks lovely, beautiful picture.

Manju said...

OMG!! this is jsut awesome. I first went to Mumbai some 6 years back and my one and only mission was to have vada pavs and yeah also to travel by local trains :D

love them..its soo filling and perfect for chai time!

Poornima Nair said...

Ohhh, I'm going crazy looking at that...probably the most popular street food in Mumbai and one of my favs...looks delicious.

Andhra Flavors said...

Rekha mi beware of copy cat post chadivenu. miru photos paina mi peru rasetappudu rekha kitchen ani kakunda plantainleaf.blogspot.com ani bright ga raste, okavela evaraina copy chesina adi mi site ki advertisement avutundi kuda(guddi lo mella anna mata)

suvi said...

this looks delicious!! Thank you for the wonderful entry...though I haven't received your mail yet.

Shama Nagarajan said...

mmm...yummy recipe

Gita Jaishankar said...

Hi Rekha...thanks for stopping by my blog...I am glad you liked it. You have a very lovely blog...excellent pictures! I am drooling over that vada pav now :)

Nithya Praveen said...

I felt nostalgic....reminded me of my mumbai days.I love these chats....nice one!

Soma said...

Mouthwatering.. send some over here please;-)

kittymatti said...

Hi rekha, u have a lovely blog! Awesome vada pav :)

Vijitha said...

Oh man! u have made me crave for Vada Pav. Its Rs.5 delight on earth. Such in-expensive n worth more-than-the-money dish.
U have re-created it so well. Looks so nice dear. Good job.

CurryLeaf said...

Perfect entry .I missed several of ur posts due to laziness,powercuts and network problems

Pooja said...

oh my my my what a heavenly dish. i just can resist droooooling.. u have a lovely blog !

Apani said...

Very nice and detailed recipe steps.

Thanks,
Apani Rasoi
http://apanirasoi.in