Jun 4, 2012

Kanda, Aritikaya Vadalu - Raw Plantain And Yam Vada

This is one more recipe from my mother's kitchen. Amma used to make aritikaya vada (raw plantain vada) and kanda vada, Kanda aritikaya vada as side dish for pappu charu or dosakaya pappu. This is the perfect combination for me, I like to eat this vadas with curd rice also. Like every kid i like my mother s cooking so much, specially  my mother's pappucharu and this vadas. I don't know how she brings a magic flavor to this two recipes. Iam trying to bring that flavor like my mother from 20 years but no.. i didn't get that flavor in pappucharu and that crispy texture in this vadas. I follow each and every step but I am not getting that flavor. Any way Mother is mother no body can beet her right?. This one is my most favorite recipe from my mother. Thanks for the recipe Amma..
INGREDIENTS:--
Raw plantain  --- 1
Yam  --- 250 gms
Green chillies  --- 6 finely chopped
Ginger --- 1 inch piece finely chopped
Turmeric powder  --- 1/4 tea sp
Cumin seeds  -- 1 tea sp
Fried chick peas -- 1/4 cup (daliya,putnalu, Porikadali)
Salt to taste
Bread crumbs  -- 1/2 cup
Oil for deep frying
Aritikaya vada METHOD:--
1. Wash and cut plantain with skin in to 2inch pieces apply little salt.
2. Peel the skin, wash and cut yam in to bite size pieces.
3. Steam cook both plantain and yam till they become soft or you can cook them in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
4. Switch off the heat and drain the water and set a side to cool.
5. In the mean while grind daliya, cumin seeds in to a very fine powder, then add chopped ginger and green chillies to this powder and again grind for 2 seconds.
6. Now peel the skin from the plantain pieces and mash well with a aloo masher make sure there should be no lumps in that.
7. Mash the yam pieces also in to a smooth paste, mix plantain mash, ground masala (daliya,cumin,ginger,green chilli powder), salt to taste, bread crumbs and mix well with your hand to combine every thing.
Make sure there should be no moisture in this mixture. If any moisture is there can add more bread crumbs.
8. Heat oil in a deep frying pan, make golf ball size balls out of the plantain and yam mixture and press them in to small circle means make masala vada size vadas.
9. Drop slowly this plantain and yam vadas in to hot oil, fry till they turn in to golden brown.
10. Remove and drain the oil and serve.
Serve  this kanda aritikaya vadalu with rice, dal with a drop of ghee or rice, sambar and ghee or you can serve this as a snack with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
This is my second recipe with  the theme of Deepfried vadas fitters for blogging marathon 17 th edition At Vallis spice your life lets check blogging marathon page .
Check our my other vada recipes:-
Panasakaya vada
And pappucharu recipe here
This is my entry for Chef Mireilles Taste of tropics plantain
This is my entry for Shamas Street Party food and event by Jagruti of Cooking Odyssey

12 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Never combined both raw plantain and yam together too,vadas looks super tempting Padma.

Padmajha said...

Innovative combo of plantains and yam. Looks delicious...

Tina said...

Lovely combination..Vadai looks tempting.

Srivalli said...

Looks so good Padma, I remember the one you told me..:)..is this the same one?

Unknown said...

Yes Valli these are the vadas what I told you.

hotpotcooking said...

Nice crispy healthy vadas

Harini R said...

Interesting combination! Amma vanta eppudu kamma ga untundhi kada!

sushma said...

nice and yummy

sushma said...

nice and yummy

Chef Mireille said...

these look amazing and with 2 veggies I like a lot...yummy combo

Geeta said...

different vadas.I too love my mom recipes a lot

Suma Gandlur said...

Yam vadas sound interesting.