Jan 27, 2012

Pappula Podi

We South Indians podi freaks. We love to have this spice powders with hot steamed rice and a dash of ghee or with Idli or dosa. In my kitchen I always have four to five verities of podi s. Some times they spares those extra few minutes of grinding chutney to go with dosa and idlis. And this podi s (spice powders) are good appetizer s too. Today's my recipe is pappula podi - dal spice powder.

Photobucket
INGREDIENTS:---
Chana dal --- 1/2 cup
Urad dal --- 1 cup
Pea nuts --- 1/4 cup
Coriander seeds --- 1 &1/4 cup
Cumin seeds -- 1/2 cup
Dry red chillies -- 15
Tamarind --- 2 inch piece
Garlic cloves --- 10
Curry leaves --- 5 springs
Salt to taste
METHOD:--
1.Dry roast both dals in a low flame till they turn in to light golden.
2. Dry roast peanuts, coriander, cumin seeds one by one.
3. Fry red chillies and curry leaves also and combine every thing.
4.Add tamarind, garlic, salt to taste and grind them in to a fine powder.
Remove and store in a airtight container.
Serve with Hot steamed rice or idli or dosa with a dash of ghee or gingelly oil.
This is my 5ht post for delicious dal s theme in blogging marathon 12 edition group 2 lets check Marathon page.

20 comments:

The Pumpkin Farm said...

looks super yumm

MySpicyKitchen said...

It's my lunch time, have steaming rice and all need is pappula podi.. :)

Harini said...

one of our fav podis too!

Simplyfood said...

Nothing beats home made spice powder.

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely podi

hotpotcooking said...

Good one. Yeah these are handy

Chitra said...

Its very nice..Love to have with dosa :)

Srivalli said...

I love this!..goes well with anything right..

Unknown said...

totally true I am a big podi freak! :)
we make this all the time! yummy an dvery tasty!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

yummy podi... lovely click!

Aarthi said...

YUMMY YUMMY

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Gayathri Kumar said...

Delicious spice powder....

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Great looking podi!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

ANd i bet it tastes great too!

Unknown said...

Yummy! I love such spice podis too. Great with rice and a dollop of ghee!

veena said...

Looks very nice!!!!Yumm spice powder

Priya Suresh said...

I can survive for many days with this podi,my fav.

Kalyani said...

oh !! my my !! I love Andhra Pappula Podi.. goes sooo well with steaming rice.. bookmarking this Padma..

Lovely to do the BM with you !

Fairy Garden said...

Podi, in your ingredient if we minus cumin seeds i have my podi ready. that's great.

Ongoing Event: MurariAnniversary-Giveaway-2012

A Kamalika Krishmy said...

I just made this yday at home ... tastes great with a dollop of ghee and papad