Apr 12, 2016

J for Jhinge Aloo Posto -- Ridge gourd and potato with poppy seeds

Now coming to the alphabet J, for this letter first ingredient came to my mind is jeera. The first recipe I thought is jilakara karam !! OPS I am doing Bengali cuisine for this Mega BM. :). Then checked Bengali cuisine for recipe name start wit letter J. I found few recipes with J like Jhinge aloo posto,jhinge posto, Jhinge motor dal er jhol  these recipes or with Jhinge, Jhinge is well known as ridge gourd (Beerakaya). which is a very  favorite vegetable in Andhra Pradesh and we make a lot of curries like dal, curries and bujjis and many more. and one more recipe with this J is Jibe gaja which is a sweet, jibe gaja is a sweet deep fried pastry dusted with powder sugar. This is almost looks like our madata kaja or badam puri.
                                                                                        My choice from this list is Jhinge Aloo Posto. when I first read the name jhinge I thought it was a shrimp curry. Because in some regions shrimps are known as Jhinga or Jhinge. But when I was checking recipes in Deepasri Blog I came to know that ridge gourd is known as Jhinge in Bengali cuisine. I found this recipe with poppy seed in her blog.  We also use poppy seeds in Andhra cuisine a lot,like in almost all gravies and in some sweets. My recipe for I is Ivy gourd posto that is a stir fry recipe and for today this Jhinge Aloo Posto is a gravy, that you can serve as a side dish with rice or roti. When I saw this recipe I know this curry is going to be a hit, We enjoyed it with plain rice...
So let's check the recipe...
 photo jhinge posto.jpg
Recipe adopted from -- Deepasri
INGREDIENTS:---
Jhinge (ridge gourd) --- 1 kg
Potato  ---  1 big peeled and cut in to cubes
Posto (poppy seeds)  ---  4 tabsp
Green chilli  ---  2 slit
Kalonji  ---  1/2 tea sp
Turmeric powder  --- 1/2 tea sp
Red chilli powder  ---  1/2 tea sp
Oil   ---   1 tab sp
Salt to taste
METHOD:---
1. Wash and soak poppy seeds for 40 minutes then add green chilli and grind in to a fine past with little water.
2. Peel and cut ridge gourd in to half moon shape and set a side.
3. Heat oil in a deep frying pan add kalonji and potato fry for 5 minutes, sprinkle little salt and a pinch of turmeric powder give a good stir cover and cook till potatoes are half done, stirring in between.
4. Remove the lid and add ridge gourd pieces, salt to taste, remaining turmeric powder, red chilli powder and stir fry on a low heat for five more minutes.
5. Add poppy seed paste and sprinkle little water give a good stir cover and cook. check in between if you feel it is getting dry keep sprinkle little water to keep the curry moist.
Ridge gourd will cook very fast check potato if potato is cooked switch off the heat.
Your Jhinge Aloo Posto is ready to serve
Serve hot with plain rice...



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


19 comments:

Srivalli said...

Lol you are funny padma...I was laughing reading abt thinking about andhra 😃....even I thought it was prawn....good that this ridge gourd. Nice dish.

Amara’s cooking said...

Delicious looking posto Padma:)

rajani said...

Nice recipe Padma

cookingwithsapana said...

Jhinge posto looks very flavorful.Very nice choice for 'J'

Srividhya said...

Padma.. love all your recipes. Ridgegourd is my favorite. Bookmarked.

Pavani said...

Another yummy yummy posto Padma. This one with ridgegourd gourd and aloo looks delicious.

Suma Gandlur said...

I thought you made a shrimp curry. ☺ Then realized it was ridge gourd. A different variation to our beerakaya preparations, right? Seems like Bengalis love their posto.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

The subzi looks amazing and love the ingredients!

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Lot of posto recipes are bookmarked from this series,nice recipe and wonderful pick.

MySpicyKitchen said...

Ha ha ha. Even I confused jhinge with shrimp. Poppy seeds ridge gourd curry looks mouthwatering. Must have tasted great with addition of poppy.

Kalyani said...

we love ridge gourd and this seems to have a wonderful taste / flavour !

vaishali sabnani said...

My first thought was the same, even I got carried with the name and thought it is Shrimp...good one.

Gayathri Kumar said...

Poppy seeds must have added a nice flavour. Looks yum..

Priya Suresh said...

Can smell the flavor of this dish, looks so tempting to have with some rice.

Smruti Ashar said...

I opened the link thinking it as a seafood dish. Then I saw I was wrong. Perfect way to use ridge gourd!!

Harini R said...

My bookmarks are overflowing with all the posto dishes. This one sounds just as wonderful. Shall wait for the 'jilara karam' :)

Chef Mireille said...

Bengalis really love their poppy seeds - another delicious curry

veena said...

Another delicious curry . Looks lovely Padma

Unknown said...

nice recipe...