Apr 20, 2016

Q for Quick Rasmalai With Milk Powder

Today 17th recipe for this Mega blogging Marathon the alphabet is Q. Q is a very tough letter to find a recipe in Indian cuisine. As usual I started searching recipe names then vegetable names,I didn't find any thing. Then I thought of this recipe which I tried almost a twenty years back from booklet. I didn't find that booklet now very sad:(, I checked all my notes but didn't find the recipe. 
I checked in net for the recipe but all the recipes are used egg in net. But I am very sure which I tried is a egg less recipe.
                                                        finally I decide to try the recipe first time I tried with a tab sp of all purpose flour with milk powder, Rasmalai turned a bit hard. Second time I mixed egg replace powder in the place of a one egg. second time rasmali turned so soft and perfect. But I was not happy because when I first tried this recipe that time I didn't even know what a egg replace powder is. So was thinking what could I have used that time, not thinking I was literally breaking my head. Because that time rasgullas turned in to a lite yellow color. When I tried with egg replace powder I didn't get that color.
                                                                

                                                                  One fine day hubby ask me to make mango custard, because mango season started and we both like mango custard very much. When I was mixing the custard powder in milk that turned in to the same yellow color  what I got for those rasmalai when I first made. Then immediately I tried those milk powder rasmalai with custard powder ... yes Now I got the recipe. Now the ingredient I used int he place of egg is a tab sp of custard powder. 
                                                                      Let me tell you why we use a egg or a egg replacer in a instant rasmalai specially made with milk powder is. The original  recipe contain chhena (paneer) which is made in to round balls then cooked in sugar syrup. So when you add this rasgulla's  in to hot boiling milk to make rasmalai they won't split because they were already cooked and they hold the shape. This traditional recipe takes a long time to make. For this quick rasmalai recipe since we are using milk powder to make rasmalai balls. When you drop milk powder balls in to hot milk they will melt and mix with the milk, so to hold the shape we are using egg or egg replace powder as a binding agent. We can make this quick rasmalai with in ten minutes time and I felt these taste just like the store brought one 's soft and smooth.. and very easy to make. You can make them before and store them in the fridge till you serve, but handle with care :) because they are very soft... this is my first sweet recipe in this Mega BM
so lets check the recipe...
                                                                       

INGREDIENTS:---
Milk powder  ---  1 cup
Baking powder  --- 1/2 tea sp
Custard powder  ---  1 tab sp
All purpose flour (maida)  ---  1 tea sp
For ras (flavored milk)  ---
Milk  ---  1 lit.
Sugar  --  3/4 cup
Saffron  ---  a bug pinch
Cardamom powder  --- 1 tea sp
Ghee --  1 tab sp
METHOD:---
1. Start boiling one lit. milk with cardamom powder and sugar in medium heat, bring to a full boil and keep the heat in low.
2. Meanwhile mix milk powder, baking powder in a mixing bowl mix well.
3. Take custard powder and flour in to a small bowl add two tab sp of milk and mix well to make paste and add this paste and ghee to milk powder and knead in to a smooth dough, knead this milk powder dough for a two minutes to make it smooth, don't over knead the dough other wise rasmalai will turn hard.
4. This dough will be little sticky so apply very little ghee to your hands and make equal round shape balls and press them very gently to give a disk shape, make all the malai's and keep them ready.
5. Now add saffron mix well and gently place this balls in to boiling milk cover the pan with lid and  increase the heat to medium high and cook till milk becomes to a full boil again and balls starting increase the size.
6. Now reduce the heat to low and cook for two more minutes and switch off the heat.
Don't over boil other wise the rasmalai will turn hard.
Let it cool and refrigerate till you serve
You can garnish with chopped nuts you like.
Serve chilled...
Note:- you like to make this quick radmalai with egg replace powder, for one cup milk powder mix one and half tea sp of egg replace powder with two tab sp of water and 1 tea sp of all purpose flour and ad this to milk powder.
You can replace custard powder with a tab sp of corn flour and tea sp of all purpose flour..




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


12 comments:

MySpicyKitchen said...

Never tried rasagulla with custard. It is always a pleasure when you nail a recipe after serves tries, isn't it? Glad you figured out the formula for the eggless rasagulla. Rasmalai looks delicious.

Suma Gandlur said...

This is really quick and yummy version, Padma. It sounds lovely and glad that you could recreate the recipe.

Gayathri Kumar said...

That is a nice instant ras malai recipe Padma. This is the first time I am reading about this. Will try it..

Srivalli said...

That's a lovely recipe Padma, instant makes this all the more interesting...will try..

Srividhya said...

That's really one quick and instant rasamalai. Bookmarking.

Priya Suresh said...

Hard to resist to this quick and instant ras malai version, very tempting sweet.

Amara’s cooking said...

Perfectly made rasmalai Padma, You nailed the recipe, they look delicious. Bookmarked:)

Harini R said...

Wow! You nailed it, Padma. It is a very tempting dessert and the instant version makes it even more interesting

Pavani said...

Kudos to your memory and your patience Padma -- you finally made an amazing dessert. I want to try this some time soon.

Smruti Ashar said...

Such a unique way to make a classic dessert. Loved the way you made it so simple :)

cookingwithsapana said...

Quick version of ras malai looks delicious.

Chef Mireille said...

instant version is a great idea - when short on time or patience :)