Apr 11, 2016

I For IVY Gourd Posto (Kundru Posto)

We are going to start our second week from to day.  This week we are going to start cooking with the letter I to N. Since I am doing Bengali cuisine for whole month, started searching recipes name start with the alphabet I. What can I cook for this letter when I was thinking, only one ingredient I was getting is Imly. what I can cook with imly(tamarind) which is not much popular in Bengali cuisine. Then I went to vegetable list I didn't find any vegetable with I letter. I thought thinking the English names of the vegetables. My eyes stopped on a vegetable name Kundru which is known ad IVY Gourd in english, Ahhh finally I find a vegetable with letter I.
                                                                    Ivy gourd is known as Kundru in Bengal (even in North India). But kundru is not a very favorite vegetable among Bengali's. But there are some recipes like kundru posto or kundru aloo posto or simple kundru subji. Now my choice is Kundru Posto, Kundru is one of my favorite vegetable. I don't know why Bengali's removed this healthy vegetable from there cuisine. This is a wonderful vegetable which controls your blood sugar and many health benefits are there in this vegetable any way........
                                                                    

So lets check the recipe.... 
Recipe adopted from Sandeepa 
INGREDIENTS:--
Ivy gourd ( Kundru, dondakayalu) ---  250 grams
Poppy seeds   ---  2 tab sp
Turmeric powder  --- 1/4 tea sp
Cumin powder  ---  1/2 tea sp
Coriander powder  --- 1/2 tea sp
Red chilli powder  --  1/2 tea sp
Dry mango powder (aam choor) --- 1/4 tea sp
Oil   ---  1 tab sp
Nigella seeds(Kalonji)  ---  1/2 tea sp
Dry red chillies  ---  2
Salt to taste
METHOD:---
1. Wash and clean kundru and cut in to four long slices. Take kundru pieces in to a pan add salt and turmeric powder and add 1/2 cup water, cook till kundru pices are tender.Switch off the heat and drain if any extra water.
2. Dry roast poppy seeds and make a coarse powder and set a side.
3. Add cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, red chilli powder, dry mango powder to kundru pieces mix well to coat the masala on all the kundru pieces.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan add nigella seeds and dry red chillies, then add kundru pieces mix well cover and cook for a few minutes, saute in between.
5 After few minutes add poppy seed powder mix well and sprinkle a tab sp water, cook till water has dried up stir in between this will take 3 minutes in a low heat.
Switch off the heat and serve hot with plain rice.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


21 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

looks fabulous and delicious

Torviewtoronto said...

looks fabulous and delicious

Suma Gandlur said...

Love the spicy touch to this posto recipe. The plain poppy seed and green chili version seems boring to me.

Srivalli said...

That's a nice way of making this vegetable Padma..

vaishali sabnani said...

The alphabet I was a tough one to crack, but I see everyone doing it beautifully. The gourds look wonderful with posto.

Amara’s cooking said...

Simple yet looks delicious Padma..

cookingwithsapana said...

Ivy gourd posto looks delicious .Nice choice Padma.

Priya Suresh said...

This posto is calling me, very tempting side dish definitely.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

we love ivy gourd and this is a good way to cook it.

Srividhya said...

I have ivy gourd poriyal in my mind for I but changed to inji thokku. ;-) This sounds delicious and love this curry. Addition of poppy seeds is interesting.

Pavani said...

Very interesting posto with ivy gourd Padma. I loved the poppy seed gravy base for the curries.. So tasty.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Such a flavorful posto with ivygourd.

Smruti Ashar said...

Padma, I chose Ivy gourd too, but made a rice using it. Your posto looks so inviting. Lovely recipe using ivy gourd.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

nice vegetable recipe Padma , a lot of people dont like this veggie, they must try this version of yours...looks delectable

Gayathri Kumar said...

Even I am not a great fan of this veggie. But as it sounds nutritious, need to add it more in my cooking. This posto looks very nice...

Kalyani said...

except poppy seeds and nigella (kalonji), we make a stir fry with Dondakaya similarly...

Usha said...

Curious of poppy seeds taste with ivy gourd. Ivy gourd posto looks good.

Harini R said...

Looks like I should do a Bengali marathon looking at all the mouth watering dishes :) Good one, Padma.

Chef Mireille said...

I did a version of posto with potatoes when I did Bengali theme few months back must be super delicious with the ivy gourd

veena said...

Everyone at home loves ivygourd. Now i have learnt one more way of cooking this vegetable

Unknown said...

ivy gourd is one of my favourite veggies and offlate these are growing in my backyard. I will try out this recipe soon..