Mar 25, 2012

Oats And Corn Khichdi

I am a person who like to have porridge in breakfast.This I have started 2 years back I normaly have porridge for my dreakfast with any cereals like oats, wheat, ragi . Normaly I used to take them with milk, honey and fruits. Being a spicy food lover I get bored with this sweet poridge and I tried to mix my cereals with Dal or sambar then I got this Idea of making upma and kichdi with my cereals and I like that taste.So that I change my breakfast some days spicy and some days sweet. In that arry of spicy poridge recipes this Spicy Oats And Corn Khichdi is my favorite breakfast. Hope you also like this version.
Photobucket INGREDIENTS:---
Oats  ---   1 & 1/2 cup
Split moong dal  --- 1/2 sup
Sweet corn kernels  --  1/4 cup
Green peas  ---  1 tab sp
Onion  ---- 1 medium size chopped
Ginger, Green chilli paste  --- 1/2 tea sp
Kasuri methi ---- 1 tea sp crushed (you can use fresh methi leaves also)
Cumin seeds  ----- 1/2 tea sp
Oil   ----- 1/2 tea sp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder --- 1/4 tea sp
You can add any other vegetables like choped carrot, beans, spinach, cauliflower and curry leaves. I have only peas in my fridge so I didn't add any other vegetables.
METHOD:--
1. Wash and add 1 cup water to moong dal, start cooking in medium heat till dal splits.
2. Now add turmeric powder, green peas, chopped onion, sweet corn and cook till dal become soft and vegetables are cooked ( If you would like to cook this in a preasure cooker then cook for 1 whistle).
3. Take an other pan and dry roast oats for few seconds switch off the heat and set a side
4. Add ginger green chilli paste, oats, kasuri methi, salt to taste, 1/2 cup more water to dal mixture mix well and cook for 5 minutes, switch off the heat.
If you like to make your khichdi in a thin consistency the add some more water, bring to a full boil and then add tadka.
5. In a small pan heat oil add cumin seeds fry for a while and add this to oats and corn khichdi mix well adjust the taste and serve hot with pickle or as it is.
This is my second recipe for Blogging marathon 14th edition group 2 in the theme of combo theme of 3. Lets check the Marathon page for other recipes..

17 comments:

Chef Mireille said...

I am not really one for savory porridge, but it does look good

Srivalli said...

That must have been a filling dish..looks good Padma..

Hari Chandana P said...

Nice and healthy combination.. Yummy !!
Indian Cuisine

veena said...

Love tis spicy version of breakfast. I guess i need a break from the regular sweet cereals too

Harini R said...

looks very interesting and filling!!

Rajani S said...

I have never tried making this, but it looks nice and very filling.

Rasi said...

I am not much for oats.. but this seems like a really healthy spicy option!

Ongoing Event : I'm The Star

Prabha Mani said...

Recipe name looks interesting..looks nice!!Yummy combo :)

Sudha Sabarish said...

Healthy and spicy breakfast.First time here and happy to follow you.

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

very healthy n innovative kichdi...looks yummy.
Maha

Jayashree said...

That's a nice combo.

Archana Vivek said...

Nice and healthy combo

Cool Lassi(e) said...

What a healthy kichadi!

Suma Gandlur said...

Healthy khichdi!

Kalyani said...

Totally healthy, and just right for brunch for me :)


Kalyani
Sizzling Tastebuds
Event : Holi Fest – Colourful Palette
Event : Bake Fest # 5

A Kamalika Krishmy said...

Very healthy and wholesome breakfast. Would love to have a bowl full

Degchi said...

Nice way to eat your oats. Very healthy breakfast or one pot meal.