Mar 23, 2012

Ragi Java -- Ragi Kuzhu

Yet another week of Blogging Marathon. This week I have chosen the theme of  combo themes of 3. In this theme we have to cook 2 recipes from any 3 themes. So first two I am goikg to cook with whole grains. In this whole grains my first choice is Ragi - Finger millet. My recipe for to day is Ragi java aka Ragi Kuzhu means Finger Millet Porridge with butter milk.This Ragi java is a perfect break fast for summer. One portion of porridge will keep you cool and full for long time.For kids you can make this with milk and sugar or jaggery. And here is the recipe...
Photobucket INGREDIENTS:---
These ingredients make 2 glaces of ragi java.
Ragi flour  ---- 1/2 cup
Butter milk  ---- 1& 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Water  --- 1& 1/2 cup
sliced onion -- 1tab sp
chopped coriander  --- 1 tab sp
chopped green chilli   -- 1 tea sp optional
If you like can add 1/2 cup of broken rice Biyyapu rava again that will increas calories so I didn't use in mine. And can use cooked wheat rava also.. that is totally your choice. You would like to add any of this rava first cook rava and then add ragi flour to cooked rava then cook again till it become like a porridge
METHOD:--
 1.  Dilute ragi flour with 1/2 cup water and set a side for over night. means you are going to ferment the ragi flour
2. After 8 hours or next day morning in a heavy bottom pan boil 1 cup water, bring to a full boil then add fermented ragi flour batter and cook in a medium heat, stir continously.
3. Add little salt and stir and cook for 10 minutes in a medium low heat.to check whether it is cooked or not dip your finger in cold water, touch the ragi mixture, If it is not sticking to your finger then it is cooked.
4.Switch off the heat and set a side to cool. After some time Ragi poridge will become thick.
5. Now add butter milk, sliced onion,chopped coriander and green chillies mix well to combine every thing and enjoy this healthy breakfast with a pickle or just like that.
My choice is with a piece of lemon pickle or just coriander and cumin power (dhaniya jeera powder).
After adding butter milk you fell still it is thick the add some more water or butter milk adjust the salt. I like my java little thick..
This is my first recipe for Blogging  Marathon 14 th edition in the theme of combo theme of 3 let s check the marathon page for the other recipes.

17 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

have just got familiar with Ragi..so have'nt really done much with this grain...though I understand its really healthy...the drink looks nice.

Lifewithspices said...

nothing beats during summer

lubnakarim06 said...

Very new to me....love these ragi recipes series.....

Jayashree said...

I am very fond of ragi, though I must say I prefer the sweet version made with milk and jaggery to the one with salt.

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

very healthy n tasty java.i luv it.
Maha

Harini R said...

This is a new one ! Shall try it out soon!

Rasi said...

This is a nice option of breakfast, i have always had it with milk..going to try this!

Ongoing Event : I'm The Star

Archana Vivek said...

Liked your salt version of ragi

Kalyani said...

such a healthy start !


Kalyani
Sizzling Tastebuds
Event : Holi Fest – Colourful Palette
Event : Bake Fest # 5

The Pumpkin Farm said...

seems close to the ambil recipe, yummy

Srivalli said...

I remember my granny making this...tastes great..nice shots Padma..

A Kamalika Krishmy said...

This is a very healthy porridge.. My mom makes it when we are really feeling lazy to make dinner.. btw .. it is a wholesome meal

veena said...

wow!!!!!this looks so very inviting!!!!

Rajani S said...

New recipe for me, very nice clicks.

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Very cooling and filling drink! My Fav!

Suma Gandlur said...

Surely a healthy one!

Degchi said...

Healthy fullfiling a cooling drink. In rajasthan we make it with millet and corn flour.