Sri Lanka this is the country of my choice for Letter S. Sri Lanka is well known as Ceylon before 1972. I remember that there is a program on Radio called Binaka Geetmala in my childhood.This was a very popular show on Ceylon radio which used to broadcast weekly on 3 PM. Which is a show of hit Hindi songs and after this program was shifted to Vividbharati, All India radio that was another story. But first name is Simhala desam or singala desam after British people entered in to the county they changed it to Ceylon then it was changed to Sri Lanka.
This Democratic Socialist Republic country is a beautiful country with it's landscapes and beaches. This country is one of the Buddhist country. Sri Lankan cuisine is very much influenced by South Indian cuisine specially Kerala cuisine because of it's geographic and agricultural features. Rice is a staple food with curries whether it is a curry with sea food are with vegetables. Coconut milk and coconut is found in all most all Sri lankan dishes. To day my both recipes are based with coconut from Sri Lankan cuisine.
Let's check the recipes..
Recipe source from Peter Kuruvita for Cashew curry
Cashew nuts ---- 250 gms
Ghee --- 2 tab sp
Onion ---- 1 big chopped
Green chillies --- 2 chopped
Curry leaves --- 1 spring
Cumin powder ---- 1/2 tea sp
Turmeric powder --- 1/2 tea sp
chilli powder --- 1 tea sp
Cinnamon stick --- 1 inch piece
Coconut milk --- 300 ml (this is second extract of coconut milk)
Coconut cream --- 150 ml (this is first extract of coconut milk)
A pinch of roasted curry powder for garnishing (optional for this you can use roasted cumin seed powder also.)
1. Soak cashew nuts in water for 1 hour.
2. Heat ghee in a pan add onions, curry leaves chopped green chillis stir well.
3. let the onions change the color a little bit then add cumin, turmeric,chilli powder and cinnamon stick.
4. Stir on a medium heat for a while.
5. Drain water from cashew nuts and add them and stir to combine.
6. Add coconut milk and coo on a medium heat till the gravy becomes thick and reduced.
7. Add coconut cream bring to a full boil switch off the heat and add salt to taste, mix well.
Serve top with roasted cumin powder or roasted curry powder.
Serve hot with Sri Lankan Yellow rice..